RDS Technology – Plastic Injection Mould Tooling
Loadmaster 9000i Weighing System
The casing design for the Loadmaster was really complex and I needed to make sure it would meet a number of key criteria. BEC suggested I meet with their in-house toolmaker to get a thorough understanding of my requirements and devise the best solution, engineer to engineer. It was the best hour I could have spent. Mike’s incredible technical knowledge and understanding of what I needed to achieve led to an injection mould tool that worked perfectly. The first batch mouldings were right first time. I now run all our injection mould tooling designs past them.”Ike Dart, Design Engineer, RDS Technology
To manufacture plastic injection mould tooling in P20 steel and, subsequently, injection mould the complex casing for the Loadmaster 9000i weighing equipment. The casing had to meet the following criteria:
- Have a multiple attachment or product calibration.
- Protect the display screen behind an anti-glare acrylic lens.
- House sensor technology within full RFI/EMI protection with ABS outer casing.
- Use heavy-duty ABS with easy-clean finish.
- Have a universal double ball-jointed mounting bracket.
- Be trade approvable in all EU countries and many countries worldwide.
One of our toolmakers had a face to face meeting to run through the design of the product and the critical success factors for their plastic injection mould tooling.
Once their toolroom had made the recommended tool design modifications they made the steel mould tool. The investment in time resulted in:
- Increased speed to market
- Production of a precision injection mould tool
- 100% right first time with no modifications in the design process
- An agreed design review process for all future injection mould tooling projects
The Stats4 mould tools
45 days manufacture time
2 separate components